With more than 100 years providing insurance to our neighbors on Cape Cod, Nantucket, the South Shore and Southeastern Massachusetts, you can turn confidently to RogersGray for support, professional direction and the right insurance coverage.


Do you have a house you rent out when you are not using it? Do you have a property with monthly or even yearly tenants? Renting properties is a great way to make some extra money but it is not without risks.  Make sure you have all the required insurance in place before you welcome your next tenant.

You may think that your homeowners policy or the coverage provided by the home-sharing program you are using has you fully covered. The reality is homeowners insurance is meant for owner-occupied properties, not home-sharing or rentals. Your home becomes a business asset once it is rented out and requires a different type of insurance. If you were to incur a loss while it was rented and you didn’t have the appropriate type of insurance in place, you may find your claim denied. The rental creates a greater amount of risk since tenants typically don’t care for your rented home the same way you would.

There are different types of insurance depending on the length of the leases and whether the property is owner occupied. Some insurance companies may allow you to add an endorsement to an existing policy for short-term rental coverage, some may require separate policies to be written.

In Massachusetts, the law requires certain insurance minimums for short-term rental properties. It states that operators of short-term rentals must maintain liability insurance of not less than $1,000,000 to cover each short-term rental, unless such short-term rental is offered through a hosting platform that maintains equal or greater coverage.

Making sure that you have the correct coverage for your scenario can be difficult.  Below is an outline that can help clarify which policy is right for you.  It is always best to consult with an expert like the ones at RogersGray who can guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have along the way.

If the following statements are true for you:

  • House is not your primary residence
  • You rent out the property through short term rental platforms

You may need to investigate if your current policy covers you for short term rentals. Your RogersGray consultant can help you determine the best coverage for your scenario.

If the following statements are true for you:

  • You do not live at the property
  • You rent out the property
  • The tenants rental terms are for months or even years

You may need Dwelling Fire Insurance. This type of insurance is designed to help insure buildings that are not owner occupied. Liability coverage can also be provided in this type of policy.

You should also be aware that rental coverage protects you as the homeowner but not your renter’s personal belongings. For that reason, it may be wise to encourage renters to purchase their own renter’s insurance policy to protect themselves against losses.

Contact RogersGray today for a free quote to help you find the right coverage for your scenario.