The current commercial property insurance market is challenging and is expected to become even more so, with insurance carriers tightening coverages, terms, and limits while raising rates due to the increasing occurrence of extreme weather events. However, business owners and decision-makers can still take action to manage their risks and protect their bottom line.
HERE ARE SEVEN STRATEGIES TO HELP BUSINESSES STAY AHEAD OF THE HARD PROPERTY INSURANCE MARKET:
- Plan ahead for your next renewal by developing a strategy and starting preparations at least four months before coverage is bound, or even further in advance if possible.
- Evaluate your risk tolerance, understand the amount of coverage you are purchasing, and consider different program structures.
- Use data and emerging analytics tools to your advantage and structure your carrier RFP to enhance your negotiating leverage.
- Reconcile all valuations and ensure that all assets are accurately measured before your renewal.
- Prepare a clear narrative that highlights the specific safeguards in place that make your property a favorable risk, as underwriters receive numerous daily submissions.
- Demand a detailed coverage analysis from carriers and conduct an audit of all policies to ensure adequate coverage that meets your goals.
- Implement a stewardship plan by regularly meeting with your broker to keep everyone informed of market conditions and what to expect at renewal.
Navigating the hard market may not be an easy task, which is why partnering with an experienced team of experts is essential. Work with an insurance broker who can embed themselves within your team and leverage their relationships with underwriters to help you find the right coverage at a reasonable price point.
In summary, while the current commercial property insurance market may be challenging, businesses can take proactive measures to mitigate risks and protect their bottom line by implementing the strategies outlined above and working with an experienced insurance broker.
GET SUPPORT FROM YOUR INSURANCE PARTNERS
Connect with someone from our team today to learn more about
howwe can work together to weather the storm.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
VIce President, Partner | Business Insurance
Matt is Vice President, Partner at RogersGray Insurance, specializing in real estate and property management. Matt works to help his clients design a risk management strategy that aligns with their own unique situations. He works with emerging and middle-market companies that have sophisticated liability insurance needs. You can connect with him on LinkedIn or by email
This document is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as advice or opinions on any specific facts or circumstances. The content of this document is made available on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind. Baldwin Risk Partners, LLC (“BRP”), its affiliates, and subsidiaries do not guarantee that this information is, or can be relied on for, compliance with any law or regulation, assurance against preventable losses, or freedom from legal liability. This publication is not intended to be legal, underwriting, or any other type of professional advice. BRP does not guarantee any particular outcome and makes no commitment to update any information herein or remove any items that are no longer accurate or complete. Furthermore, BRP does not assume any liability to any person or organization for loss or damage caused by or resulting from any reliance placed on that content. Persons requiring advice should always consult an independent adviser.
Baldwin Risk Partners, LLC offers insurance services through one or more of its insurance licensed entities, including but not limited to RogersGray. Each of the entities may be known by one or more of the logos displayed; all insurance commerce is only conducted through BRP insurance licensed entities. This material is not an offer to sell insurance.