dwelling fireDwelling Fire Insurance is a policy meant to protect those homes that are not owner occupied or don’t meet the criteria for traditional homeowners insurance (such as second homes used only during a few weeks in the summer).  Traditional homeowners insurance generally only covers properties that are owner-occupied.

In a place like Cape Cod and the coastal towns of the South Shore in Massachusetts, these policies are pretty popular.  Second homes, seasonal homes and rental properties are all examples of homes that might be insured with a Dwelling Fire policy.

In spite of the name, Dwelling Fire Insurance actually covers more than just fire/smoke damage.  This type of policy could cover the same perils as a traditional Homeowners policy, including:

  • Fire and Smoke Damage
  • Ice and Sleet Damage
  • Interior Water Damage
  • Wind
  • Explosions
  • Burglary and Vandalism

Basically, the policy covers the home/structure itself and any attached structures, like a garage, deck etc…  It also provides a small amount of coverage for detached structures.  A Dwelling Fire Policy is similar to a homeowners policy, and it can cover contents as well as liability and loss of income from rental properties.  You can also add to the policy through various endorsements, for instance by adding coverage for Ordinance & Law.

Living and working on Cape Cod and the South Shore, our personal insurance specialists are experts at Dwelling Fire, coastal homeowners insurance and second home / seasonal home insurance needs.  If you think you might need a Dwelling Fire policy, contact us today to speak with one of RogersGray’s Personal Insurance specialists or complete our Request a Quote form and we will get back to you asap!