back2schoolIt’s that time of year again – students have headed back to campus!  And you know what that means – a flurry of questions about what coverage a parents homeowners policy affords students.  So, let’s review!

The Homeowners 2000 Program (HO 2000) includes in its definition of an insured – a student enrolled in school full time, as defined by the school, who was a resident of your household before moving out to attend school.  The most common definitions of an insured are:

  • Your relatives; or
  • Other persons under the age of 21 and in the care of any person named above.

For students living in a dorm room (or an off campus apartment that is not considered a permanent residence) who meet the definition of an insured, their contents are considered covered personal property.  The limit of liability for the personal property located at an insured’s residence other than the residence premises is 10% of Coverage C.

It is noteworthy that for students living in off campus apartments, coverage applies only if the apartment is not considered their permanent residence.  If the apartment is the permanent residence (or there is any doubt about the permanence of the residency) it is recommended that the student obtain their own HO-4 policy to avoid any ambiguity and possible lack of coverage under the parent’s homeowners policy.

The definition of an insured may differ based on your carrier, so always check in with your client manager to see exactly how YOUR homeowners carrier defines an insured.