Being in New England you know winter storms can range from freezing rain to moderate snow over a few hours then onto a blizzard with blinding, wind driven snow that lasts for several days. At RogersGray we want to make sure our Massachusetts Homeowners have everything they need for the coming months and the inevitable Nor’Easters!
How to get your house Ready for the Winter…
- Clean debris from gutters, downspouts and roofs while checking for damage
- Make sure the caulking around doors and windows is adequate to reduce heat loss
- Take a look at the trees on your property and removes trees and limbs that could damage your property during a winter Storm
- Have a heating professional check your heating system and replace your furnace filter annually
- Be sure to test your emergency generator
- Test your sump pump and have battery back-up in the event of a power failure
Many winter storms are accompanied by dangerously low temperatures and sometimes by strong winds, icing, sleet and freezing rain.
- Drive only if you absolutely must, and be sure your car is outfitted with snow tires and has adequate fuel and an emergency supply kit.
- If you go outside to shovel snow, know your limits and try not to overtax yourself. There are some crazy stats and facts on this Snow Shoveling Safety Fact Sheet
- Stay away from downed power lines.
- Keep your pets inside, or make other suitable arrangements for them.
To stay up to date on local school and business closings be sure to check out the CapeCod.com Storm Center, backed by yours truly. When [if!] the snow flies, get outside and take some photos for Cape Cod Broadcasting’s Winter Storm Shots contest for a chance to win a Samsung NX 1000 Camera valued at $799.95.
For more winter storm safety tips, revisit this Winter Storm Safety Tips blog post from 2015!